The investigation uncovered the following key problems in the current state of public safety in St. Louis:
• Racial disparities in the harms inflicted by policing;
• Gaps and inconsistencies in SLMPD policies (especially related to use of force, pedestrian and vehicle stops, and interactions with people experiencing mental health emergencies);
• A need for non-police alternative responders for certain call types;
• Inefficiencies in the allocation of SLMPD patrol staff and resources, which create inequities in service levels;
• A need for accessible, affordable out-of-school time programming for St. Louis youth;
• Insufficient community engagement on the part of the City and SLMPD; and.
• A lack of robust accountability systems for SLMPD.